Chilled Avocado Soup With Tortilla Chips
Notes: requires a blender or food mixer.
For the soup:
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 4 spring onions
- a few sprigs of fresh coriander
- half a fresh green chilli
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 200 ml yoghurt (coconut yoghurt for a dairy-free soup)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes
For the garnish:
- 2 soft corn tortillas
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- some of the cucumber from above
- a few pinches of salt
- Chop a 3 cm length from the cucumber and keep it for the
- Peel the rest of the cucumber, chop it in half and scoop
out/discard the seeds; place the cucumber in a blender/mixer.
- Chop the avocado in half, around the stone, scoop out the
soft flesh and add it to the cucumber.
- Halve and de-seed the green chilli and it to the rest.
- Roughly chop the spring onions and add them to the rest.
- Pick the leaves off the sprigs of coriander and add them
- Blend the lot to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Add the yoghurt and stock and continue to blend until the
mixture is smooth and silky.
- Mix in 10 drops of tabasco and the salt.
- Chop one of the limes in half and mix just this half-lime
of juice into the soup.
- Place the soup in the fridge to cool right down.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- Mix the smoked paprika with the olive oil in a small bowl.
- Place the tortillas on a baking tray and brush both sides
of them with the mixture, making sure to get it right to the
- Bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, until the tortillas
are just starting to brown; when in doubt, over-do it, you
don't want them to be soft in the middle.
- Allow the tortillas to cool then break them up between your
fingers and mix in a couple of pinches of salt.
- Deseed and finely chop the red chilli and add it to the
- Take the reserved 3 cm length of cucumber, peel it and
remove the seeds then chop it finely and add it to the
tortilla/chilli garnish mixture.
- Add the juice of the remaining one and a half limes to the
soup shortly before serving; this way it will add a noticeable
- Serve the soup with the garnish on the side.
Back to Meades Family Homepage