Originally from: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2114/blueberry-and-lemon-friands.
Note: this recipe is pretty quick if you have a food mixer
and is really useful for using up left over egg whites.
Serves: 12 fairy-cake sized friands.
- 12 fairy-cake cases
- 100 gm unsalted butter
- 125 gm icing sugar and more for dusting
- 25 gm rice flour (or, if you don't care about
gluten-freeness, plain flour)
- 85 gm ground almonds
- 3 egg whites
- 85 gm of your chosen flavouring: best to go for a tart
fruit as the rest of this is pretty sweet, e.g. sour cherries,
raspberries, cranberries, maybe ginger or lemon in the mixture
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C/gas mark 6.
- Melt the butter in a pan and set aside to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with the flour and the ground almonds
in a bowl.
- In another bowl, preferably with a food mixer to save your
wrists, whisk the egg whites until soft and fluffy, see first
picture above; this was 3 minutes at full speed.
- Add the egg whites to your dry ingredients then lightly
stir in the butter and anything else you want integrated with
the body of the friand, e.g. lemon rind, sliced ginger, etc.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the 12 fairy-cake cases.
- Sprinkle your chosen flavouring on top of each.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- If you wish, dust lightly with more icing sugar before
Back to Meades Family Homepage