Lemon Drizzle Cake
Originally from: Nigella Lawson's Perfect Every Time Lemon Drizzle
Cake, on a website now marked by Chrome as "dangerous, do not
Note: needs a loaf tin.
For the loaf-cake:
- 125 gm unsalted butter
- 175 gm caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 175 gm self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons milk
For the syrup:
- juice of 1.5 lemons
- 100 gm icing sugar
For the glaze; this will make twice as much as you need, so if
you are happy to be left with a quarter lemon then halve the
- juice of half a lemon
- 150 gm icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar well.
- Beat in the eggs and lemon zest.
- Fold in the flour and salt, then mix in the milk.
- Line a loaf tin, pour in the mixture and bake for 40
minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Heat the syrup ingredients in a saucepan until the sugar
- Immediately the cake comes out of the oven, stab it all
over with a skewer and pour the syrup evenly all over it.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and remove it from the
- Combine the glaze ingredients and drizzle the glaze over
the cake in pleasing stripes.
Back to Meades Family Homepage