Originally from: https://www.daringgourmet.com/german-sauerkraut-soup-sauerkrautsuppe
Note: a good way of using up sauerkraut,
good in winter.
- 100 gm bacon, smoked, cut into smallish pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp marjoram
- 0.5 tsp caraway or fennel seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 500 gm sauerkraut, drained
- 75 gm crème fraiche
- In a saucepan big enough to hold everything, fry the bacon
- Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown.
- Add the garlic, tomato purée and spices and cook for a
- Add the sauerkraut and stock, bring to the boil, then turn
the heat down and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the crème fraiche before serving.
Back to Meades Family Homepage