- 20 gm butter or 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion/leek/some spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 to 3 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 courgette/some spring cabbage/runner beans, chopped small
- 1 largish carrot, peeled and grated
- 300 gm basmati rice
- twice as much water as rice by volume
- 1 stock cube (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the butter/olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add all of the vegetables except the carrot and
cook until softened.
- Boil the water and dissolve the stock cube in it.
- Stir the rice into the vegetables.
- Add the stock and salt.
- Stir again, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15
- Gently stir in the grated carrot.
- Cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Back to Meades Family Homepage