Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ~2 cm chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 0.25 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1.5 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- juice and zest of one orange
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ~1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C.
- Place the sweet potato chunks into a roasting tin, drizzle
with olive oil and cook for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, cook the chopped onion and carrot in
olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent
but not brown.
- Add the cinnamon, oregano, thyme, chilli flakes and bay
leaves to the saucepan and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, orange juice & zest, tomato purée
and the roasted sweet potatoes to the saucepan and simmer for
- Remove the pan from the heat, remove the bay leaves and
laddle the remaining mixture into a blender, in batches if
necessary; blend throughly.
- Add salt and pepper, checking for taste as you do so.
Back to Meades Family Homepage