Spinach With Chickpeas
Originally from: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6911/espinacas-con-garbanzos--spinach-with-chickpeas-.aspx
Makes: enough for 4 people as a side dish or as a component of
- 3 cm slice of country loaf, or a largish ciabatta bun,
crusts removed and chopped into ~1.5 cm cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400 gm tin chickpeas
- 300 gm frozen spinach, thawed
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp salt
- olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the bread until
it browns; be careful with the heat, the bread burns easily.
- Transfer the browned bread into a food processor or large
mortar & pestle
- Fry the onion and garlic in the same frying pan until the
onion is translucent.
- Add the cumin and salt and fry a little longer.
- Transfer this mixture to the food processor or large mortar
& pestle also.
- Add the red wine vinegar to the mixture and smash it all to
- Put the thawed spinach and chickpeas in a frying pan and
mix in the smashed mixture.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, lightly mashing the chickpeas
as you do so.
Back to Meades Family Homepage