Serves 10 and delivers lots of good stock.
Note: requires at least the Rotigrill Lamb Roaster.
- 1 suckling pig, weight around 10 kg
- 10 slices of bread, including crusts
- two large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 dessert spoon of freshly grated ginger
- 6 rashers of thick, smoked bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 250 gm dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
- 1 Cox, Braeburn or other sweet apple, peeled and chopped
- salt & pepper
- half a pint of water
- 2 beaten eggs
- Mix all the ingredients together, except the water and eggs, in a vary large mixing bowl
- Use your hands to make sure of a good mix.
- Add half the water and mix, followed by the other half.
- Mix in the beaten egg.
- Cover the mixture with foil and allow to stand in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Place the animal on the skewer, attaching the metalwork to ensure it does not move.
- Make some shallow cuts into the flesh to allow fat to escape during cooking.
- Place the stuffing inside the animal and sew shut.
- Cook for 2 to 2.5 hours or until juices run clear, starting at a low height for the first 15 minutes to encourage good crackling.
Back to Meades Family Homepage